Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Tees for me

Since I've had some time at home, I've been doing some sewing.  I made myself some new t-shirts.  I've made all of these tops before, so it didn't require much thought.

My favourite thing about homemade shirts - they don't ride up in the front.  I think almost every store bought top I have bar some old maternity shirts end up too short in the front.  I try the t-shirts on in the shops, and the length is ok.  Then I wash them at home, and they are too short!  Ottobre's plus size patterns usually have some gathering/ease in the side seam which adds some extra fabric in the bust that combined with me adding a bit of length usually gives me a good result.  One day I will have to face up to doing a FBA on a t-shirt pattern, but for now I just keep sewing patterns that provide extra fabric in the front through gathers, pin tucks, etc.

Also the tops I make tend to fit through the shoulders instead of looking like a hanging sack.  Unfortunately I don't have any modeled photos, so you have to take my word on it.

Pattern:  Farbenmix Fano
Fabric:  Hilco Jaimie knit from a couple of winters ago

Stripy Fano

Pattern:  Ottobre 02/07 #4 with #3 sleeves
Fabric:  Stenzo rose print knit

Otto 02/07 #4 Rose print tshirt

Pattern:  Ottobre 05/09 #3 - no pockets and shortened
Fabric:  Mad Sky daisy knit

Otto 0509 Flower top


3 comments:

Tanya said...

I need to start sewing for myself, these T's are really cool. You'll be the best dressed chick around this Summer.

Peta said...

They're beautiful tops Sara. I need to get sewing for myself too.

Cass said...

They look great Sara. Aren't you working anymore?